Programs for Players
Online Strength and Conditioning for Trails West Hockey Association
With the current state of sports teams/associations being shut down for 2020 - Vergie Speed would like to offer zoom/online sessions - to help you and your children - remain active.
The most important thing right now is making sure these young athletes keep moving.
We need to continue to improve their speed, strength and conditioning.
Zoom/online coaching will allow them to continue to stay connected with their peers - while working out.
Benefits of Zoom/Online Training:
- You do not have to leave your home and therefore minimize risk of contact with others
- You can continue to stay active and achieve your goals
- You save time by not having to travel to a gym
Age Group Options - UPDATED for 8 sessions in January (sessions are 45 minutes in length)
- U11 and U13
- Wednesday - Jan 6, 13, 20, 27 @ 6:00 pm
- Saturday - Jan 9 @ 11:15 am
- Monday - Jan 11, 18, 25 @ 5:00 pm
- U15 and U18
- Tuesday - Jan 5, 12, 19, 26 @ 4:00 pm
- Friday - Jan 8, 15, 22, 29 @ 5:00 pm
- Cost is $40 + GST for 8 sessions ($5 per session)
- 2nd child or parent is free
Vergie Speed will be giving 10% from each athlete - back to the Trails West Hockey Association. This will help the club support the athletes through these difficult times.
These Zoom workouts will help kids with the activity they need to keep going but they will also help them mentally during these crazy times.
Once you have registered, a Zoom link will be sent to your inbox within 24 hours. Please check your spam if you don't see it in your regular email account.
To register, visit https://www.mindbodyonline.com/explore/locations/vergie-speed and under Pricing and Packages, look for "ONLINE" then select View options and select:
For U11/U13 - "TW - January Zm Atom and PeeWee (8 sessions)"
For U15/U18 - "TW - January ZM Bant/Mid (8 sessions)"
Background from Vergie Speed - Deep Rich History of Training Athletes
- 20,100 athletes trained: since 1998, Vergie Speed has trained more youth athletes in Calgary than any other facility.
- $8.1M in Scholarships: 658 Vergie Speed athletes have won more than eight million dollars in University athletic scholarships.
- 100% University Educated: all Vergie Speed Coaches have Kinesiology degrees and relevant certifications.
The Vergie Speed Advantage
- Develop the Complete Athlete: both body and mind matter. We build athletes' bodies and confidence too. We never verbally abuse or publicly embarrass them.
- Speed and Agility are Everything: research shows the #1 facto which separates elite and non-elite athletes is the ability to change direction quickly (not absolute strength, e.g. bench press or squat).
- Connor McDavid and Nathan MacKinnon are not exceptional sprinters, but are extremely agile. It's all about fast-first steps.
- Elite-Yet-Safe: teenage bodies vary wildly in maturity and ability. Training is customized for each age group, with loads customized to each athlete.
We look forward to helping your children become better athletes.
Yours in Speed,
TWHA Player Development Sessions
TWHA Coach Development provides members opportunities to experience third party hockey instruction throughout the season. Players must be registered with TWHA for the current hockey season to register for these sessions.
Inside & Outside Edge Clinic - November 9, 2020
This session will focus on Inside and Outside Edge for those players in U7 to U11 age groups. There are two sessions each targeting different player skill levels so please read each description carefully to determine which session your player is best suited to attend.
Cost per session is $20 (non-refundable) and registration is first-come first-serve basis with a maximum number of 24 players per session. Sessions will be run physically-distanced.
Historically this clinic has filled up rapidly so please don't delay registration if you feel this training is appropriate for your child.
REGISTRATION is FULL for both Beginner and Advanced Sessions (as of 10:17am)
The link for registration will open on Friday, November 6th at 10:00 AM and close when the sessions are full or at 11:59PM on Saturday, November 7th.
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT REGISTRATION: If the system does not allow you to select the session’s participant fee, then the session is FULL even if you think there is one more space available! If you see a “-1” that means registration is over capacity, not that one spot is available – look very carefully for that negative. I will not be responding to email requests to register your player because the system won’t allow you to select the “last” spot. Be sure pop-ups windows are allowed in your browser or you will not be able to complete registration.
Date: Monday, November 9, 2020
Instructor: Svend Wiele - Svend grew up in Germany and represented his Country at U16's, U17's, U18's, and U20's. His career continued as a Pro player in Germany before moving to Canada in 2003. He has been passionately working on power skating and overall skill development for 16 years within Alberta and BC as well as Europe. Svend's specialty is specific skills coaching including power skating, shooting, body checking etc.
BEGINNER Inside and Outside Edge Clinic
Description: On each player’s skate blade are two edges – an inside and outside edge. Using each edge is important in the development of a player and their ability to change directions whether it be via stops and starts or tight turns. Typically, a player becomes more comfortable with their inside edge because their center of gravity runs through their body and they feel more stable. Development of the outside edge can be more difficult for players as they must lean on the outside of their skate blade in order for it to carve into the ice surface. This means the player must lean into a turn, their center of gravity is not through their body and they must overcome the sensation of falling. Once a player has a feel for their outside edge, their skating development accelerates.
Historically players currently in U7 and U9 have difficulty finding the outside edge. This session is tailored to players having difficulty:
- Stopping in both directions facing the same way
- Stopping with their toes pointing forward
- Turning in each direction
- Turning while using both their inside edge and outside edge (ie, does your child’s knees come together and almost touch when they are turning? If so, they’re using their inside edge on both blades to turn which we will work to fix)
- Conducting cross-overs
ADVANCED Inside and Outside Edge Clinic
Description: This development session is designed to challenge the players to generate speed using their inside edge and outside edge. In this clinic, players will be asked to generate power and explosiveness out of a stop and start, to generate speed and accelerate with half cross-overs, to be able to pivot from forward to backward and accelerate via cross-overs. Within the clinic, we will discuss weight transfer through the body and within the feet when skating forward and backward and when conducting cross-overs forward and backward.
- Please have your player come dressed to the arena. These sessions will be held physically-distanced so dressing rooms are to be used in accordance with physical-distancing measures and therefore only a small number of players can use them and must maintain a minimum 2m/6 feet distance from each other.
- Players must wear masks at ALL times even in the dressing room and may only remove their masks immediately prior to placing their helmet on and going directly on the ice.
- Players will be required to check-in prior to heading to the dressing room area so TWHA has met the contact tracing requirement for this session. Only registered players will be permitted in the dressing room area/on ice.
If you have any questions concerning the technical aspects of the sessions, please contact Coach Development at coachdevU7-U11@trailswesthockey.com.
If you have any questions concerning registration, please contact the Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hockey Calgary Programs
What It Takes is a series of virtual, moderated panel conversations with the coaches and leaders themselves. Coaches and leaders at various levels will provide insights for aspiring hockey players on the attributes, characteristics, and skills seen at their levels. Discussions will take a deep dive into preparation, success, and finding out, What It Takes.
Each installment will be applicable to all ages and we recommend tuning into to each session as insights will vary and may be slightly targeted for the most applicable age groups based on the ages categories of the panellists. The Female Hockey Edition will feature a more broad conversation as the panellists are both coaches, players, leaders, and extend across multiple levels. The series is free of charge and will take place via zoom.
- January 5, 2021 at 6:00 PM - U15 AAA Coaches
- January 7, 2021 at 6:00 PM - AJHL Coaches
- January 12, 2021 at 6:00 PM - U18 AAA Coaches
- January 13, 2021 at 6:00 PM - Female Hockey Edition