Programs for Players
Third Party Programs
more coming in the 2022-2023 season!
TWHA Player Development Sessions
TWHA Coach Development provides members opportunities to experience third party hockey instruction throughout the season. Players must be registered with TWHA for the current hockey season to register for these sessions.
Questions concerning the technical aspects of the sessions, should be directed to the applicable individual from Coach Development noted above.
Questions concerning registration, should be directed to the TWHA Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
stay tuned for 2022-2023 sessions
TWHA Goaltending Development and TWHA Coach Development provided the following sessions in the 2021-2022 season.
Introduction to Goaltending Session for U9 and U7
Forward & Defense Skills
Player Skill Development
Hockey Calgary Programs
What It Takes is a series of virtual, moderated panel conversations with the coaches and leaders themselves. Coaches and leaders at various levels will provide insights for aspiring hockey players on the attributes, characteristics, and skills seen at their levels. Discussions will take a deep dive into preparation, success, and finding out, What It Takes.
Each installment will be applicable to all ages and we recommend tuning into to each session as insights will vary and may be slightly targeted for the most applicable age groups based on the ages categories of the panellists. The Female Hockey Edition will feature a more broad conversation as the panellists are both coaches, players, leaders, and extend across multiple levels. The series is free of charge and will take place via zoom.
Stay tuned for new sessions!
Hockey Alberta Skills Camps
Alberta Built Skill Development Camps, powered by Hockey Alberta, will focus on enhancing the skills that your athlete learned during the 2021-22 minor hockey season. Hockey Alberta will be hosting multiple skills camps for all boys and girls in the U7, U9, U11, U13, and U15 age levels. Spots are limited, so register today!
Click here to be taken to the Hockey Alberta website for a list of all camps offered.
- All camps will be held in sport and recreation facilities in Calgary that place a high emphasis on cleanliness, and are compliant with the City of Calgary vaccination passport bylaw.
- Camps are easily accessible for Calgary residents as they are reachable by major thoroughfares in the city, and are located near the edge of the city for easy access by families travelling in from rural Alberta.
How to Dress Your Goalie.
- How to Dress a Youth Goaltender - by USA Hockey
- 10 Tips to Improve your Hockey Shot - by Tim Turk Hockey
- Shot Mechanics - by Mackenze Stewart with Allegiance Hockey
- Release time - The faster we can get the puck off of our stick without allowing the goalie to react the more likely you are of scoring. It isn't all about how hard you can shoot but more how fast and how accurate.
- Deception - Let's face it, goalies are getting extremely talented and with the added bulkiness of gear (as well as the average NHL goalie being above 6'2) scoring goals from shots directly on net is a challenge. The reason why players like Matthews are able to score is because has a unique release as well as plenty of deception in his shooting