Date: December 1, 2022 #2205
To: Hockey Calgary Member Association Families
From: Kevin Kobelka – Executive Director
CC: HC Board, HC Governors, Association Presidents
SUBJECT: Community Regular Season Schedule Begins!
It is hard to believe that December is upon us already. It seems like only yesterday when we were enjoying the amazing fall weather only to see it turn over the last week to our traditional winter temperatures. The good news is that the outdoor rinks and lakes are now open, providing another opportunity for the kids to get out and enjoy the great game of hockey with their friends.
At this time of the year, we also begin to look forward to two of our flagship events at Hockey Calgary:
1. The Circle K Classic U18 AAA Tournament (formerly known as the Mac’s), after 43 years the name will be changed, but the same great competition will remain. This year’s event will feature 32 teams including 6 US teams, 1 international, 1 Ontario, and a number of Sport Schools and AAA teams from western Canada. Come out and enjoy some great hockey action, and see the stars of tomorrow, the tournament runs from Dec. 27 – Jan. 1
2. Esso Minor Hockey Week – this year’s event runs from January 13 – 21 and will feature all community and AA teams in Calgary from U9 and up. This is a highlight of the season for many players in our program, and a week that we all look forward to.
This past week we wrapped up an action packed ‘Seeding Round’ and have just released the Community Regular Season Schedule. We are thrilled to be operating this year without restrictions and look forward to a very positive remainder of the season.
As we head into the Regular season, we wanted to provide a few reminders so that ALL players, coaches, parents, fans and volunteers can enjoy their experience at the rink
1. Officiating – Once again this season we have a severe shortage of officials. We are working closely with the officiating committee to improve this situation, but it will take some time. The officials that we have are doing their best and are often officiating multiple games in a day. Much like the players many of these officials are still learning and will make mistakes. Please be patient and show your support, officials are integral to our hockey program, and we cannot operate without them.
2. Fan & Participant Behaviour – Please show respect to your team and the oppositions players and fans. Hockey Canada has increased the focus on maltreatment and any discriminatory actions this season, it is not acceptable to use disrespectful language or actions in and around the arena. These behaviors will not be tolerated and will be addressed through Hockey Canada’s ‘Safe Sport’ process. One of the core values of Hockey Calgary is ‘Respect’, and we are hopeful we can treat each other in a respectful manner while at the arena.
3. Health & Safety – ‘If you are sick stay home’. While there are no restrictions and masking requirements, we encourage those that are not feeling well to stay home for the safety and enjoyment of all participants. We have witnessed high levels of absenteeism so far this year, and we would like to thank those families for acting in a safe manner. We know the kids want to play, and in the long run a brief absence will benefit all team members.
On behalf of the Hockey Calgary staff, our Board of Directors, and our army of great volunteers we want to wish all players, coaches, teams, and Associations good luck in the regular season. We would also like to which everyone a joyous holiday season, enjoy the time with your family and friends, and we look forward to seeing everyone at the rink in the new year.
Good Luck to all, and remember we are all winners when we have respect for our competition and play for the love of the game!!