Click here for a PDF version of the Bulletin
Date: February 16, 2022 #22-02
To: HC Members & Member Associations
From: Kevin Kobelka – Executive Director
CC: HC Board, HC Governors
SUBJECT: Hockey Calgary Pre-Playoff Update
Last week, the Province of Alberta announced a plan for the removal of restrictions over the coming month, and just yesterday the City of Calgary made the decision to align the Calgary bylaws surrounding masking with the timing decisions made by the province.
Now that there is some clarity from the City of Calgary, we felt it was important to ensure everyone is aligned with the Hockey Calgary expectations as we head into the final stretch of the season and the playoffs. As we have done through the full pandemic, we will continue to follow the guidelines put forth by the city and the province to ensure the overall safety of our athletes, coaches, and volunteers.
The Hockey Calgary expectations for the remainder of the season and playoffs are as follows:
- Proof of vaccination is no longer required at any facility in Calgary
- Masking requirements have been modified as per the Province of Alberta and the City of Calgary and will remain in place until lifted by the Province of Alberta, (Mar. 1, TBD)
- All athletes 13+ will be required to wear a mask in all areas of the arena except when on the ice.
- Coaches are required to continue to wear masks on the bench during games and on the ice during practice for the remainder of the season
- All league & playoff games will operate as scheduled, any teams that cannot field a team in playoffs due to covid restrictions will be forced to ‘Forfeit’ that game due to the tight timelines throughout the playoffs.
We respectfully ask that all Hockey Calgary families comply with these restrictions, in order that we can complete the season in the safest possible manner.
Kevin Kobelka, Executive Director- Hockey Calgary
Mask Requirement – Updated February 16, 2022
These requirements have been updated based on the recent Alberta Government and City of Calgary announcements and will remain in place until lifted by the Government of Alberta, tentatively scheduled for March 1.
Details are as follows:
- PLAYERS (updated)– Players 13+ are required to wear masks upon entering the arena and in dressing room area. Players should remove their masks only immediately prior to putting on their helmet and entering onto the ice surface.
- COACHES & BENCH STAFF – All coaches and team staff are required to wear a mask at all times while on and off the ice. This includes the dressing room area, and the player’s bench. Referees have been directed to stop the game and ask coaches to put on a mask or leave the bench if they fail to follow the mask requirement. Coaches must also wear a mask at all times when on the ice during practice time.
- VOLUNTEERS – All volunteers and minor officials are required to wear a mask in and around the direct playing area, in the timekeeper/penalty box area, and when in close contact with any player, coach or official.
- OFFICIALS – All Officials are required to wear a mask upon entering the arena, and in the dressing room area. Officials should remove their masks only immediately prior to putting on their helmet and entering onto the ice surface.
- FANS (PARENTS) – Masks are required in the dressing room area, player’s bench, penalty boxes, and timekeeper’s box. In all other areas of the facility spectators MUST follow the protocols as laid out by the individual facilities.