Click here for the PDF version of the Hockey Calgary Bulletin #21-14
Date: December 31, 2021 #21-14
To: HC Members & Member Associations
From: Kevin Kobelka – Executive Director
CC: HC Board, HC Governors
SUBJECT: Hockey Calgary January Plan
Throughout the Christmas break Hockey Calgary and our member Associations have been monitoring the Covid-19 case counts and the updated government restrictions to determine a plan forward for the 2022 portion of our season. As were all hockey fans, we were deeply disappointed to see the cancellation of the Mac’s U18 AAA tournament and the World Junior tournament. We look forward to these events being re-scheduled in the new year to provide the participating players the playing experience that they earned and deserved.
At the time of writing there has been no additional restrictions implemented by the government of Alberta with regards to youth sport. As we are all aware this can change on a moments notice, and if it does, we will pivot once more.
The Hockey Calgary plans for January are as follows:
- All league games commencing January 2nd will operate as scheduled
- EMHW (scheduled to start January 7th) will operate as scheduled
- Opening Ceremonies Game Events will be scaled down
- A new game cancellation policy will be implemented for the 2022 season (see link)
- Masking requirements will be maintained and will be strictly enforced, we ask that all HC families read the following page, and be 100% compliant to these rules
Hockey Calgary will continue to ensure that we put the safety of the athletes, coaches, officials, and volunteers at the forefront as we prepare to play the remainder of the hockey season. We know these are challenging times and we ask that all families be respectful of the policies in place. If we work together, we can ensure the athletes can continue to participate.
Thank you in advance for your support of this updated plan of action.
Kevin Kobelka – Executive Director
Updated December 31, 2021
With the increase in Covid-19 cases due to the highly contagious Omicron variant we wanted to remind all Hockey Calgary families of the importance of the mask requirements in helping to protect your safety. Many of these requirements were put in place in late August but over the course of the last 4 months we have noticed a reduction in compliance to these restrictions. For your safety and the safety of others we ask that we all focus on compliance to help ensure the continuation of the hockey season. These requirements will remain in place for the remainder of the season, or until there is a relaxation in restrictions from the government.
Details are as follows:
- PLAYERS – Players are required to wear masks upon entering the arena and in dressing room area. Players should remove their masks only immediately prior to putting on their helmet and entering onto the ice surface.
- COACHES & BENCH STAFF – All coaches and team staff are required to wear a mask at all times while on and off the ice. This includes the dressing room area, and the player’s bench. Referees have been directed to stop the game and ask coaches to put on a mask or leave the bench if they fail to follow the mask requirement. NEW: Coaches must also wear a mask at all times when on the ice during practice time.
- VOLUNTEERS – All volunteers and minor officials are required to wear a mask in and around the direct playing area, in the timekeeper/penalty box area, and when in close contact with any player, coach or official.
- OFFICIALS – All Officials are required to wear a mask upon entering the arena, and in the dressing room area. Officials should remove their masks only immediately prior to putting on their helmet and entering onto the ice surface.
- FANS (PARENTS) – Masks are required in the dressing room area, player’s bench, penalty boxes, and timekeeper’s box. In all other areas of the facility spectators MUST follow the protocols as laid out by the individual facilities.