The Alberta Amateur Hockey Association (Hockey Alberta) is seeking qualified candidates for three (3) positions on its Board of Directors.
- Vice Chair
- Director at Large *
* this position is a NEW position that is intended to be elected only if a Notice of Motion to change the Past Chair position to an elected position is approved by the members
For the Chair and Vice Chair roles, both incumbents have decided to seek re-election.
Deadline to submit a nomination package is AUGUST 31, 2022.
Hockey Alberta is the governing body for organized amateur hockey in the Province of Alberta. The Board of Directors builds and monitors the strategy of the organization through its vision, mission, values and strategic direction. The Board operates under a Policy Governance Model and delegates operations to the Chief Executive Officer. The Board is elected by and accountable to the members of Hockey Alberta. The Board holds regular meetings, either in-person in Hockey Alberta’s head office in Red Deer or via phone/ digital platform.
The Board of Directors is focused on being a diverse group comprised of individuals with a variety of skill sets and experiences. For 2022, candidates with previous board experience are being sought to fill the three available positions. Criteria to be considered by the Nominations Committee for each candidate include:
Skills and Experience
- Experience with aspects of the game at various levels
- Knowledge/ experience with Membership Relations (in medium and small sized communities)
- For the Chair position specifically
- Experience on the Hockey Alberta Board
- Experience as the Chair of a Board of Directors
- Legal Expertise; or
- Fund Development and Revenue Generation for Non-Profit Expertise; or
- Communications / Marketing / Social Media Expertise.
- Experience in Advocacy – Government Relations/ Lobbying; or
- Diversity / Inclusion Strategy and Education Expertise; or
- Environmental and Social Responsibility Expertise.
Visible Minority and/ or Indigenous
- Previous experience on the Hockey Alberta Board is an asset.
- Previous experience on a not-for-profit board and knowledge of the workings of a board from a good governance perspective are preferred.
- Experience and understanding of the workings of a Provincial Sport Organization is an asset.
- Successful completion of a Criminal Record Check is required.
The Governance Committee of Hockey Alberta has created an external three-person Nominations Committee that includes a former Chair of the Board of Directors.
All submitted applications are reviewed by the Nominations Committee. Through the application and interview process, the Nominations Committee will prepare a group of qualified candidates to be presented to the membership for election.
Board of Director positions are elected by the Members of Hockey Alberta at the Annual General Meeting (AGM). Elected individuals will serve a term of three years.
To be eligible for the Board of Directors, a candidate is required to be nominated by a Member of Hockey Alberta, as defined in Article 2 of the Bylaws of the Alberta Amateur Hockey Association.
The links below to the Hockey Alberta website provide more information on Hockey Alberta Bylaws, and the Board’s Governance Model, Code of Conduct, and Conflict of Interest policy. Candidates are required to complete a conflict of interest declaration with their application.